Project management sounds easy until you actually try it. Working on multiple projects can be overwhelming and whether on purpose or not, the small details of a project can get lost. Managing projects seamlessly can be a difficult feat if you don’t have proper assistance. But with a project management system in place there is less chance for errors. This means more time for you to work and execute rather than plan and stress.
What Are Project Management Systems?
There is a wide range of functions that project management systems can operate. Some are more sophisticated than others but overall, systems are built to increase productivity and make the user’s life easier. Most systems can plan, schedule, document and manage a budget but some are much more specific to certain industries.
Types Of Project Management Systems
- Desktop: Desktop project management software runs separately on the desktop of each user. Generally, these desktop softwares are single-user applications.
- Web-based: Web-based softwares are run on the internet, accessed through a browser. They can typically be available through smartphone or tablet.
- Single User: Project management systems are built for one person to edit the project plan at a time, such as a desktop application. This type works best for smaller companies.
- Collaborative: This allows for users to share work and work on projects together. Whether offsite or onsite, users can contribute to the project from their remote location.
- Visual: Visual project management is meant to simplify larger data into a more understandable piece of information.
Picking The Right Project Management System For Your Company
There are hundreds of options when it comes to project management systems. Some are pricier than others but offer more in-depth functions. The most commonly used softwares for general project management are Trello, Basecamp and Jira. Since there are so many different project management types, make sure you do your research to understand which one is right for you and your company.
However, you may think your company needs a project management system but in reality, they are not made to work for every industry. Projects are defined by precise deadlines. If you’re company is producing ongoing work, such as maintaining a website, a project management system may not be the best fit. Your company might benefit from a task management software instead.
How Do Project Management Systems Work?
As mentioned earlier, project management systems range in their capabilities. But in general, project management softwares are user friendly. Although they are easy to comprehend, they are highly intelligent. Most, if not all, are built as a dashboard where current and past projects can be organized. Typically, everyone on the team has access to the dashboard. This eliminates any confusion of which team member is working on what. It also makes it so others have questions about other team member’s, they know who to ask. This method holds employees accountable for parts of the projects they are assigned to.
Adventures In Project Management
Blake Stone wrote Adventures In Project Management, an analysis of large projects and how they were affected by project management systems. Adventures In Project Management specifically looks at the Denver International Airport and how project management systems played a role in its completion. You can purchase the book from Brithe Publishing here